A Fall Home Maintenance Checklist
Santa Barbara homeowners: Take care of little things seasonally to make a big difference!
It’s time to go through your fall home maintenance checklist and prepare your home for the upcoming season which officially begins on September 22, 2017. Now is the perfect time of year to take care of the little things that can make a big difference for you and your family. Whether you check off the items on this list yourself or hire a professional to handle them, it’s well worth the effort. You’ll save money — and maybe even your life.
Here are 12 tips for Santa Barbara homeowners, as they appear in Better Homes & Gardens:
- Inspect and clean gutters and downspouts.
- Seal gaps.Seal gaps and cracks around windows and doors with weather-stripping and caulk.
- Roof inspection.Inspect your roof for damaged or curled shingles, corroded flashing, or leaky vents.
- Clean and repair walkways. Take steps to repair damaged sidewalks, driveways, and steps.
- Winterize faucets.Drain and winterize outdoor faucets and irrigation systems.
- Replace filters.Clean or replace dirty furnace filters.
- Inspect your furnace.Have a professional inspect your heating system.
- Clean your fireplace.Check fireplaces for soot or creosote build-up. Better yet, schedule a visit from a reputable chimney sweep.
- Keep the humidifier humming. Clean the plates or pads to ensure efficient operation.
- Head-off gas problems. If you have a gas-fired room heater, have it inspected by a pro. Also, perform any routine maintenance recommended by the maker.
- Keep the wood fires burning brightly.Wood stoves are making a comeback. To avoid a deadly situation, be sure to inspect yours before firing it up.
- Keep your family safe at home. A home safety check should be an annual ritual in every household. Test smoke and CO monitors, inspect (or install) fire extinguishers, review fire escape plans, and rid your home of old newspapers and other fire hazards.
If you want to go through your fall home maintenance checklist in a new space in Montecito, Hope Ranch or any of Santa Barbara’s upscale communities, call me at 805.886.9378 or email me at [email protected]. I’m available to help home hunters find their dream home any time of the year.